1. Not all of them are bad and harmful.
Only 1% of all species are pests (thirty species).
They disgust most normal people, but actually they are not so bad and filthy. We’ll tell you more about cockroaches, some of these facts may change your mind. Just give them a chance!
2. Maximum time they can live without water is one week.
However they can easily live for a long time without food.
3. No matter what you say, there are cockroaches in your food.
Cockroach legs and antennae are present in each chocolate bar, in cheese, peanut butter and popcorn. But don’t worry it’s disgusting to realize but it’s safe for your health (if you’re not allergic to cockroaches).
4. A cockroach can live for a week without its head.
It does not depend on its mouth or nostrils, because it can breathe through tiny holes in other segments of its body.
5. They existed on Earth in the Jurassic period.
It’s not a joke – roaches are more than 200 million years old!
6. Cockroaches start each new day with no memories about their yesterday.
This fact was revealed as a result of the experiment with vanilla and mint tastes. Roaches were successfully taught to prefer fresh mint to vanilla, but they tended to vanilla in the morning anyway.
7. They like when you touch them.
Roaches are thigmotropic, they like to squeeze thru different holes and openings as they enjoy the feeling of a tight fit.
8. Bacteria in their bodies feed them with vitamins.
Bacteroides are inside of special cells, they are passed from generation to generation of roaches. Bacteroides produce vitamins and amino acids required for roaches to live up.
9. Cockroaches are bad for those people who have asthma or allergies.
They produce proteins and carry bacteria that can make deseases spread.
10. Cockroaches inspired students from Berkeley to make a robot named the Dash.
It may fall straight from 28 m and walk on at its speed of 10 km/h. One can control it from a smartphone.
11. One female coakroach gives birth to 400 offspring at a time.
Roaches mate only once. The sperm is stored in a body of the female for 12-months lifespan and used when needed.
12. Cockroach farming is gaining popularity in China.
They are dried to be used in medicine and in cosmetics as a source of protein.
13. Periplaneta Japonica is a domestic disaster for New York citizens.
They managed to win the previous species with cold, but this one happily survives winter with its frost and winter.
14. Roaches are fast!
Using all its 6 legs, it can move at a speed 80 cm/sec.
15. Tropical roaches are really big!
The ones from Australia weigh up to 33.5 grams. If you have your own in the kitchen, they are simply cute in comparison.
16. Similar to the dogs of Pavlov, roaches can be conditioned.
They were given two scents – of vanilla and mint just before a sugary treat. Finally they drooled when their antennae detected any of these scents around.
17. Bigger roach does not mean it is worse.
Small roaches can be dangerous pests while big ones are harmless.
18. There was a species glowing in the dark.
It is called Luchihormetica luckae and it came from Equador in 1939. It is extinct now, as its habitat was devastated by a volcano.
19. Cleaning will not save you from roaches.
These creatures are attracted by water and food, not dirt or dust.
20. Cockroaches can eat absolutely anything.
They do not disdain to eat dead animal skin, garbage or feces. Your food is okay for them too, of course.