Simhastha is much more than a religious event. It is one of the largest human gatherings in the world.This grand holy celebration in India is attended by millions of devotees from around the world. One amazing fact about Kumbh Mela is that it is celebrated after every 12 years. There are many mythical tales and fascinating facts associated with this grand event.
Check out the 10 wonderful facts you would really love to know about the Grand Kumbh Mela.
1) Hiuen Tsang (602-664 A.D.) had written about Kumbh Mela in his compositions.
It is the oldest written proof of Simhastha in the Indian history.
2) Diversified mix of people is present at Simhastha.
Besides pilgrims, Simhastha is full of different saints such as Naga Saints (naked holy monks), Parivrajakas (silent monks), Shirshasinis (monks who meditate 24 hours) and Kalpvasis (monks who bathe thrice a day).
3) Grand Kumbh mela is one of the largest religious fairs in the world.
ISRO used remote sensing satellites to capture the bird eye images of Grand Simhastha in 2010.
4) Grand Kumbh is held once in every 12 years.
One of the popular TV series ‘An Idiot Abroad’ featured Simhastha in its second episode.
5) Simhastha provides employment to a large number of people.
This grand fest creates job opportunities for nearly 65,000 individuals.
6) A Bengali movie ‘Amrita Kumbher Sandhane’ was made on Simhastha in 1982.
It was directed by Dilip Roy.
7) BBC also made a documentary movie on Simhastha in 2010.
The movie was titled as ‘Kumbh Mela: The greatest show on earth.’
8) Kumbh Mela provides adequate health care facilities for the pilgrims.
In this Grand event, 14 hospitals with 250 doctors are equipped with all the medical aid amenities to serve the crowd in best possible way.
9) 50,000 police officials are deputed to manage the crowd at Simhastha.
30 temporary police stations also ensure the safety and security measures at Simhastha.
10) This grand fest is more than 2000 years old.
Share these awesome facts about Simhastha with your friends and family.