I just moved into my first “grown-up” apartment a few months ago. In the days leading up to the big move, I dreamed about all the amazing decor I would add to make my apartment functional and stylish. The reality? After buying all the essentials, like hooks, shelves, and cleaning supplies, I had basically blown my entire decorating budget.
That’s why this DIY project is so amazing. With just a few simple items, it’s easy to make these gorgeous vases or lanterns. All you need is a hot glue gun, white plastic spoons, and a glass jar.
Here’s how you can make your own blooming lotus vase.
- Break off the tops of about 20-30 spoons, depending on the size of your jar.
- If you’d like a colorful jar, spray paint the spoons in a color of your choice. Let them dry completely.
- Use a glue gun to begin gluing the spoon heads around the top of the jar.
- Once you have glued the spoon heads around the top, begin your next row. This row should overlap slightly with the first row.
- Continue gluing the spoon heads around the entire jar, overlapping a bit with the row before it. Your last row should end about 1/4 inch before the bottom of the jar.
- Fill in any gaps in the last row with the remaining spoon heads.
- Paint the remaining 1/4 inch of of the jar white, or whatever color you painted the spoons.
- Place a battery-powered tea light in the jar for a lantern or use it as a vase to hold flowers.